Thursday, May 15, 2008

Membership...its about time lol

I believe it was last year..or possibly the year before, a few friends of mine challenged me with why I wasn't a member of the church I attend. I've been part of the Rosewood family since 1989 which if you do the math is just shy of 20 years. So I feel completely at home there, and though I've been tempted to leave and find another church a few times, the fact that it is "home" to me has been a huge factor in me staying put and continuing to enjoy Rosewood. My immediate response was the ever popular "I dunno, never though about it" which in all honesty isn't really an answer at all is it lol. The question though did get me thinking of why I hadn't taken the step of becoming a member. This is what I came to the conclusion of. I don't like to be labeled. The idea that I would be an official member of the Christian Missionary and Alliance denomination honestly didn't really appeal to me. I can't really explain why but here's my best try, I don't like being pegged, I view myself as a Christian not as a denomination and so I didn't think membership was for me. Now the idea was rolling in my head though. It had gone from not being on my mind at all, to being thought about and considered. A silent mental run down of the arguments both for and against pursuing membership. It kind of subsided and slid back into the recesses of my mind, but little did I know it would be brought back up a few months or so ago. They church was going to start membership classes. Well I might as well check that out I figured so I did, to see what it was all about and stuff. Well it changed my mind. I realized it wasn't necessarily "pegging" me as a "Christian and Missionary Alliance" denomination member, but rather an active part of the Rosewood family and yes in some way the C M&A as well but it was mostly more local than that. Really the only difference between being a member and attending is that as a member you have the ability to vote on the workings of the church, and decisions that are put forward. You have a voice in the Church you attend.

So as of Tuesday night I am now an official member of Rosewood Park Alliance Church. Only took me almost 20 years lol.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I liked this post Will. My thoughts are the same as your original thoughts, along the lines of "I'm not a religion or a church", which is why I was never interested in membership. Interesting to think of it the way you do now.