Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Space.

Six and a half billion people on this planet
This celestial ball
with only so much land to span it
shared by every nation, culture, creed and race
all vying for their slice
of this relatively small place
clinging to some claim of ownership
grabbing hold of their individuality
with a tightly held grip
Now, I can't speak for theirs
or for yours
but I can speak
for my case
and this
this is my space
so respect it
and in case it was in question
I expect a three foot span
in every direction
I'm talking to you close speakers
unless you have a secret
and its important
I can hear it
from that distance
so quit it
and all you touchy people
this is just a warning
its uncomfortable
not to the point of insufferable
but definitely unenjoyable
so please
stop if your able
Now there are exceptions to every rule
but if you assume that that's true for you
it makes an...
well it makes an angry person outta me
and a fool outta you
now I know I know I'm coming across as rude
or cold or unaffectionate
but lets place a bet on this
if someones up in your face
so close that you can taste
their last meal
I'm pretty sure it's safe to say
you'd feel the same way
but like I said
I can only speak for my case
and this
this is my space
and in case it was in question
I expect some intellectual discretion
when it comes to your expressions
of opinions and reflections on
how I wear the hair on my face
or my style or taste
I'm not some carbon copy trace
of what you think I should be
I am simply and purely me
and maybe you disagree
with the clothes that I wear
or the art my body bares
but
ask my nicely
and you'll find out
that I really don't care
cuz I cling to that same claim of ownership
and I've got my individuality
by the scruff of the neck
and I'm holding it
I know who I am
and you only have as much influence on that
as I allow you to
from absolutely zero
to the depths of a select few
see I've found my slice
of this small place
it stands about five eight
a buck eighty five is its weight
and its great
to stand here before you
and say
that this
this is my space
can you claim the same.

-William Brown (2008)

1 comment:

Kathy said...

thanks for posting this. You are a great writer Will and brave to put your feelings out there. People (Me included) were blessed and encouraged by your honesty and openess!