Sunday, December 30, 2007

A little irritation

So, I was talking with a friend this evening about a movie that she was watching that goes by the name of "Jesus Camp". I have never actually seen this movie, but from what she was saying, I don't think I want to. Apparently it is "crazy right wing evangelical" in her words. Over the top, in your face, condemning people. I don't know about other people, but that is somewhat irritating to me. I don't really want to get into any kind of theological battle with anyone, but it irritates me that its the extremes that the media decides to share with the world. its the soap box screamers and the "Crazy wife-swap" ladies ( if you don't know what I'm talking about, thats ok ) that media decides are a good representation of people of belief. It irritates me that so many people of Christian faith are all over the world doing good works in a much more loving, humble way, but go unnoticed and unrecognized for the works they do. I mean its also good in a way that they aren't covered by the media all the time, because it isn't about the tv time, or how many pages in the paper are dedicated to it. Its just frustrating to me that the few people that do get the media attention seem to have a more so negative effect on people who may be in the midst of searching for God, or those that aren't at that stage. That they see the extremes and it turns them away. It's sad that that type of action seems to be the representation of the people who believe.

I also have an irritation with myself. I'm allowing myself to be irritated by things in the past that should have no place having any effect in my life anymore. I logically know this, and yet am powerless to make it stop. Little things, like hearing a song, or reading something, can trigger a sudden switch from being on the up to becoming bummed out, or even slightly depressed. Logically I can take any thing that causes it, and really the entire situation in general, and nullify it, but Logic isn't helping any and that my friends is frustrating. It's frustrating having no real control over my own emotions. All I can do is hope that eventually I will be completely rid of it, and it will have no emotional tug on me in any direction. In time and prayer. Patience is no fun thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your "friend."

I think you're very normal in feeling nostalgic at times....human nature.
Focus on your own happiness and the right person will just find you.

Anonymous said...

hey dude, that's really cool that you brought that up. on the road trip down here, my sibs and i were reading some passages and my sis suggested that we read john 3:16. it was funny cause i was like thinking, 'ugh.. everyone knows what that says..but whatever, can't shut down the kid's request.' so i read it aloud and kept on reading to the next verse, which said how Jesus came down to save, not to condemn. And reading that just enlightened me. it was one of those things that you 'know' but never remember about until it hits you again. what a sweet reminder hey? and totally puts into perspective that if we are to be like Him in this world, it isn't our place to condemn others. So, thank God that my sis suggested that passage, cause i needed to be reminded of that.

Jen said...

I completely agree with your first paragraph. The media puts out such a bag image of Christianity that it turns anyone who may be interested away. The ones who are over the top get viewed as the norm and give everyone else a bad name. Good post Will!

I hope you are able to sort through your own feelings of frustration with yourself! Nothing wrong with being nostalgic every now and then but if it's bringing you down, hopefully you can find a way to battle thru it.